Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Good Hearing, or Another Red Herring?


More certainly goes on at work than passing out flowers and cooler-bags, of course. 

Priscilla (who now has to explain to her husband the embarrassing bald spot in her garden) and another coworker, Fannie, were in Priscilla's cubicle, diagonal from mine, talking about something. Usually I shut my ears to ongoing conversations – the appropriately padded walls of our cubicles don't shut them out completely. But sometimes, exchanges just lodge in my ears… and with no context to frame them, either: 

Priscilla: I don't mean to be an ingrate, but ― 

Fannie: No, be an ingrate; I like that about you! 

And just to prove that Ben doesn't restrict his comments to puns, he's good with rhetorical questions. In fact, the other day I foolishly asked him, "What if there were no rhetorical questions?" 

He smiled with interest and leaned his elbows on the chest-high shelf that marks the top of my cubicle. "You know," he began, "since you ask that…", stopping when he noticed I'd recognized I'd been stung again. 

A while back, Hugo and Ben literally had a loud, afternoon-long debate on whether one's sense of honor toward other people should, and could, diminish over time. At some point Ben mentioned to Hugo the concept of verbal conundra, though he didn't take that concept much further. Later, I asked Ben: "Some time you've got to tell Hugo the story of the Paradox of Zeno." 

Ben looked apologetic. "I know, but every time I try, I never get to finish it." 

Anyway, he came up to my desk on Monday and asked me, "What is the German word for 'auditorium'?" 

I thought a second. "Uh, I believe it's 'Hörsaal '." 

"Which means?" 

This was obviously an etymological question. "It's a large room – Saal – where you can, well, listen to stuff: hören. Just like in Latin" (Ben's an attorney, so he does ow-knay ome-say Atin-lay); "audīre means 'to hear' or 'to listen' – so you've got 'audio' in English." 

"Right," said Ben in too-ready agreement. "So…" (uh-oh) "can you show a silent movie in an auditorium?" He walked away. 

My pupils must have gotten tiny as I turned my gaze up to the ceiling, and began stroking my chin contemplatively. I've yet to find a good answer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment