Friday, April 27, 2007

Pundemonium: Coloring Outside the Box


On the way to the elevator (no direct flight of stairs to the parking deck), I'll ordinarily pass the cubicle of semi-boss, coworker, attorney, and IT whiz Ben. I stopped at his cube-entrance this afternoon after I'd shut down my computer, locked up the essentials, and donned my briefcase. 

"I'm going to make like a shepherd," I announced to him, then stood by, patient and silent. 

Ben pinched up his face, laid a hand across his mouth, and began tapping his finger on his cheek as he leaned back to think. I could nearly hear the gears, though in his case they run pretty smoothly. Let's see; "Make like a drum" = "…and beat it"; "Make like a banana" = "…and split". (There's even the tasteless "Make like a baby and head out".) But a shepherd? Finally he raised his eyebrows in annoyance. 

I continued, "…and get the flock out of here." And turned and began to walk down the hall. Behind me, I heard (faintly), "You'd better run while you still can." 

Ben may have been ticked off due to another exchange maybe half an hour earlier. I was looking over some checks that had come in from a few of our indebted employees. One check appeared to be someone's entire (US) tax-refund check – it had "US Treasury" on it, the Statue of Liberty, and so on. The signature was rubber-stamped (anyone remember Pink Floyd's "When the Tigers Broke Free"? No?), and I looked closely at the name signed. "Oh, NO!" I gasped, and leapt out of my chair and headed over to Ben's cubicle. 

I showed him the check, and pointed at the stamped signature. "What name is that?" I asked. 

Ben peered at it, and began spelling the last name out: "M, A, N, G… E?" 

"I thought it was an A." 

"Could be." 

"Do you know what that spells? 'Manga'. Do you know what that is?" I knew he did. Ben nodded. 

"But do you know what this means?" I went on, excitement building in my voice. 

Ben shook his head in cluelessness. 

"It means," I explained as I took the check from his hands and began walking back to my desk, "that he's an anime of the state." 

Most of a minute of horrified silence. Then, from Ben: "I can't hear you."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment