Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pundemonium: Keeping Your Cool at Work


Today was Administrative Professionals' Day, formerly named Secretaries' Day. Yours truly, as is likely obvious from other postings here, is an Administrative Assistant (Senior) to a corporate director (and staff of nearly twenty) for a major, world-spanning firm headquartered not far from the Washington DC / Baltimore / Philadelphia megalopolis.
Traditionally in the office, the department gets together and presents their admin with a small gift, a card, maybe flowers. Previous years (with various firms) have seen me receiving various nice little pieces of office gear, and so on – more than once I've been the recipient of a nice, logo-bearing coffee cup… which I turn over to my mother (or to brother Sarge, who works as an engineer for directly competing firm), who is a coffee drinker. And this gives me to opportunity to say in mock outrage: "On this day of all days, I got mugged!"
Naïve me… I'd forgotten today was that day, so was puzzled (though delighted) to see one of our tête-à-tête tables set up with a platter of sliced fruit, box of "donut holes", another box (yes) of fresh-brewed coffee (which I still don't drink). I snagged a hole on the way to my desk… and was surrounded by most of the department at my next pass by the table.
Besides a thoughtful card and some beautiful flowers (mostly deep burgundy tulips) direct from Priscilla's garden, they also presented me with a nice insulated canvas bag, obviously designed both to keep a six pack (of soda, beer being a no-no in the office) cold, and show prominently our corporate logo.
"Thanks, all of you," I said sincerely, and then pointed at my face. "And all this red is sunburn from Sunday's 5K, not a blush," I added, blushing.
Aurelio, my Italian coworker, asked unwisely whether I might have a pun for the occasion. "Well… I just have to say" – and I waved the insulated bag over my head – "that I couldn't work for a cooler group of people."

No comments:

Post a Comment