Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Pundemonium: The Pun Is Mightier Than the Sored


Coworker and semi-boss Ben gets the two-fingers-up pun award of the day. Apropos of just about nothing, he asked me: "What do you call a loaf of bread that likes to be abused?"
I pondered a bit, knowing instinctively that this wouldn't be as bad as my own recent horror about Winnie the Pooh. Minutes earlier, I'd figured his previous attempt: he'd pointed out Priscilla's steaming Styrofoam® bowl of… icky-colored sludge and vegetables, and asked me cheerfully, "Do you know why that's Clark Kent's favorite food?"
I'd blinked a moment, then answered, "Because it's soup-er, man?" Bing!
So now I mulled (!) over the concepts of flour, yeast, whole grain, dough etc., but couldn't make a connection; I conceded. (Retrospect: I think I could have gotten half a point by answering, "Getting what it kneads?") So Ben kindly explained:
"A gluten for punishment."

No comments:

Post a Comment