Thursday, March 1, 2007

Historical Conundrum: The Ultimate Stinker


At work this afternoon, Ben was expounding lightheartedly to Priscilla on certain figures of history. Since she's only a couple cubicles down, my ears perked up when I heard him mention Peter the Great.
I nearly levitated from my seat before flying to Priscilla's cubicle, and waited for half a pause in Ben's litany before verbally stepping in: "Hey, do you know what Peter the Great, William the Conqueror, and Winnie the Pooh all have in common?" (This is based on a very lame joke I'd heard on Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion" several years ago.)
Then I killed my pan and body language so that by the time Priscilla (who knows me too well!) asked, "Is this going to be a bad one?" I was able to answer with a terse, bored, "Yes." And resumed my silence.
Ben had an inspired look on his face, but it quickly degraded by stages to I Can Figure This One Out; then – obviously and wisely mentally discarding several really stupid answers – to This Is a Tough One; to Oh, This Is Going to Be Very, Very Bad. Then at last his lips disappeared, and he shook his head in honest defeat.
"All three have the same middle name," I answered matter-of-factly. And – I never expected this – he cringed and his shoulders went up and his face crumpled and he actually imploded slightly, like a dwarf star beginning to collapse into neutronium. I've seen Hugo do this, when I mercilessly leave an especially horrid pun with him – but Ben (like a cat drawn to people allergic to felines), Ben also gets a chuckle and giggle out of black-and-white straight-line-only Hugo going through those same tortured contortions at his jokes!
Fate was having a field day in the office this afternoon. Because at this point Hugo unwisely came up, and Ben told him how I'd probably – definitely – told the worst one-liner of my life. Hugo's shields came up with a near-audible clang (I could smell the motor oil), and he said firmly, "I don't want to hear it!"
If Hugo can be an unmovable object, then Ben, of course, becomes the irresistible force. "No," he answered with equal resolve, "you have to hear it. If I hurt, you have to hurt." Then he gave the riddle. Hugo didn't want the solution (he's very wise, but can be a pushover), but Ben pressed me to give the answer anyway. And when I did, Hugo repeated both Ben's contortions, and his contention that I'd risen to a new low. I grinned – beamed – and left the three of them (Priscilla was groaning again) and returned to my desk.
Epilog: Ben was so delighted by his defeat that he told this reeking joke to several more people during the rest of the afternoon (and no doubt he's sleeping (and giggling) on the couch tonight, having held down his wife to tell her, too) – a greater compliment than I could ever aspire to. And that's exactly how I responded to his brilliant and disgusting pun on Stephen King: I was telling his stinker to other people for days afterward.
This is how punning differs from chess, tennis, and gladiatorial combat: the defeated admires the coup de grâce of his/her own dénouement… and often adds it to his/her armory.
Here, though, NB, it was not a pun: just a lame one-liner / riddle impossible to solve, yet logical in solution, and imbecilic in meaning.
I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment