Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy Birthday: Belles and Smells


Okay, this choice of skin restores the missing title and subtitle; I'm not greatly fond of the overall layout, but I'll tinker with it a bit and see what I can do about that. 

This evening, I got together with Shelly, my older daughter, plus my younger brother Richard and his younger daughter, my older sister and her husband and two kids, and my mother; we met at a local sports-themed restaurant, and proceeded to have the kind of loud, raucous (and occasionally off-color) good time this family can have, especially if that sister or/and my older daughter is involved. (I may post a picture later.) The occasion, of course, was my daughter's birthday… somehow, while growing no older than five or six in my heart, she's now twenty-four. 

It may not be a coincidence that "Twenty-Four" is the name of her current favorite TV series… and if I'd taken the time to think about it a bit further, I would have tried to give our hooraw that very theme. 

Presents included a gift card to a store that late last year gave her PTSD; also a refrigerator magnet, and two rolls of cookie dough. Yes, this is a strange family. 

We dispersed again after a couple hours; my brother followed me and my mother back to our house. He went sans daughter, who went off with my birthday-girl Shelly to my sister's house to practice a design for a tattoo Shelly wants on her ankle and foot. Daughter's thinking of underwriting the cost by giving each member of my generation (five of us, plus two spouses) and hers (five more for now, not counting her) the opportunity to buy a color for part of the design – e.g., ten or twenty dollars would allow you to color a star, or the crescent moon. 

My brother says he wants a tattoo on the back of his neck to look like a wall socket, and possibly also a bar code. Our mother's modesty was shocked at this suggestion. "You don't want to do something you're going to regret when you're eighty!" 

"But I want something to regret!" my brother countered. 

Before he left, he told us a joke, after assessing whether we'd be offended. Oh, it's irreverent, but we didn't find it offensive at the least – after thoroughly berating him earlier for even suggesting we sometime see "The Last Temptation of Christ". That is offensive. 

His joke wasn't, though… but I've still edited it for the, uh, masses: 

An old, devout Catholic widower brings his new, little-old-lady widow-friend – who's even older, nearsighted, and has never been in a Catholic church – to Mass one Sunday. It turns out that this is one of the holiest feast days of the year, so there a grand procession of altarboys and -girls carrying the lectionary, a huge crozier, and many tall, blazing candles. The priests are in the middle of the procession, all decked up in resplendent robes of gold and violet. And the bishop who is to lead the Mass is walking with a censer, swinging it back and forth to fill the grand interior of the church with great clouds of rich incense as the procession makes its way up to the altar. 

The little old lady has been delighted and transfixed by the decorations, the paintings and statues, the gold, the organ music, and the thunder of voices singing together. She's standing at the end of her pew, right at the aisle, so she's able now to lightly grab the bishop by his beautifully embroidered robe. "Look, dear", she says softly, "that's a lovely frock – but your purse is on fire!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment