Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Friendly Workplace


I do still regularly hear from my recently former coworkers (or cow-orkers, as Scott Adams prefers to spell it). Yesterday, UK-born HeyJude dropped me a quick note, simply saying:

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 1:20 PM

Hi AgingChild,

How are you Mr.?

We miss you around here. Have you got any news on the job you interviewed so well for? Was thinking about you and thought I'd touch base.

Take care,

HJ

Sweet! I answered:

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 2:05 PM

Aww… <insert blush here>

No, those folks finally hired someone else, though it was quite a challenge… so I turned it around and offered to help them out as a volunteer. You'll remember, maybe, that their focus is on providing (including through construction and renovation) housing for the needy – much like Habitat for Humanity, brought down to the local/community level.

Anyway, they took me up on their offer – but not to wield a hammer and sawhorse, but rather to assist around their office! So I replied to their outbound executive assistant just this morning that I'd be happy pitching in a few hours a day, every few days, if that wouldn't be too little help. As always, we'll see; answer soon, I hope.

I've been wallpapering the greater [local] area with my résumé, and there've been some nibbles, but I haven't hooked any decent fish yet. (This leaves me free to continue painting the house!) Concentration this week will be on linking up with the various local staffing agencies – some years back, I somehow impressed one so much they put me in their own office as the front-desk person! So I've been sending the agencies my résumé, and there are more to go; I'll follow up with in-person visits, either by appointment or even unannounced drop-ins.

Meanwhile, you guys and gals have been on my mind also, of course. (Had a bizarre dream early this morning that Gülden and I were walking through a shopping center, talking about the job market, when a salesman grabbed me and put me to work. And I don't do retail anymore! Gülden probably woke up giggling, with no idea why.) I hope your workload has lightened, Miss HeyJude – and that all you guys take it easy on the new admin, and don't insist s/he keep chocolate at their desk.

Bet everyone's lost a few pounds, too. I know I have.

Take care, Miss Funny-Face – and send my happy hellos around; I'm doing okay and staying busy. Ciao bella!

PS for Aurelio: let him know that a news commentator on MSNBC made an accidental (and embarrassing) play on words a couple weeks ago: he was reporting on that terrible bridge collapse, and noting how incredibly few people had been killed or even injured. He summed it up: "Those folks on the bridge sure got some big breaks." He paused maybe a quarter-second and added firmly, "That was not a pun." Yeah, it was.

Regards,

AgingChild

Must have been a rare slow day at the office. I had HeyJude's reply fairly quickly:

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 2:35 PM

Hi AC,

Good for you that you volunteered some of your time to assist around the office. It sounds like a very worthwhile cause.

I'll be thinking positively regarding your job hunt and I'm sure you will find something to suit you real soon.

I've passed the pun from the MSNBC commentator to Aurelio for his enjoyment (that was definitely a bad pun if ever I heard one).

Take care & good luck with the house painting.

Best,

:)))

H. A. Jude

Finally, after getting yesterday's blog straightened out, I sent back:

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 9:15 PM

Hey, same to you!

I'd've responded sooner, but I was struck by the muse, and had to put up a blog that'll probably make you cry (with my apologies in advance, of course):


I typed it up easily, and quickly had it posted online around 3:00… then spent the next six bleedin' hours fixing some really frustrating formatting issues (I have got to learn more HTML and XML coding!!). Now it looks great… and the world (i.e., both my occasional readers) must think I'm depressed – which I'm not. I just wish the blasted blog-provider had something a little more user-friendly. And this is why I didn't open your email until just a few minutes ago.

[HeyJude had also asked me about a piece of office equipment that was driving a coworker nuts. But since I'm several weeks out of practice with the machine (though I'd trained it to cooperate), I couldn't offer a clear/simple solution. I recalled, though, that Woodie, another coworker (and USN CPO), had a similar piece of equipment at his own desk:]

Way back in my day, the manual was on top of the file cabinet behind my desk – though I may have put it in a file folder, before I grabbed my cardboard parachute and jumped out the window (Mick pushed). Woodie, being more organized than his admin was, should have the manual ready to offer… and tell him to salute and say "Ma'am! Yes Ma'am!" as he hands it over… or I'm going to sink his battleship.

Have a great remainder of the week! And let your barmy brother know that I'm still looking for his beer. Toodles, poodles!

Regards,

AgingChild

HeyJude can hug easily via email; here's what I received from her this morning:

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:47 AM

Hey AgingChild.

Thank you Mr. and don't worry about the delay in response. I know you have other things to do other than chit chat with me via e-mail.

Unfortunately for us, our Mr. Wood is on vacation so we don't have our usual resource. Anyway, it's just not the same around here without you. Everyone still talks about how Acey used to do things and it's just such a mess and so not much fun anymore.

I'm going to the U.K. tomorrow for a week to attend my dear Aunt (God Mother's) funeral. I'll definitely get in touch when I come back.

Keep plugging away at the job market. You will find something that is suitable soon, I'm sure.

Take care,

HJ

See what I mean?

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:18 PM

You are a sweet friend. (And fortunately for your family, you don't have any single sisters who might be as kind to ornery Americans!)

Speaking of family, of course – I'm sorry to hear about your godmother. Will the time spent with family reminiscing over her, sharing warm memories and tears and prayer, also allow you a moment or two to give our cousin Lady Haw-Haw [a delightfully wacky friend in the London office] a wave? If so, do please pass her a personal hello from me. If I had time, and were a bit closer, I'd give you a box of Cheerios for her.

And re the office – I know; I miss the crew, and the work, and the regular silliness… just not the commute and the horrid early-to-bed / early-to-rise hours I needed to maintain. I do wish I'd been able to convince Mr. FedEx and Mr. UPS to bubble-wrap the building and mail it up to [here] (using real stamps, of course). Ah, well – likely they'd actually considered using the interoffice mail system, but discovered it would have resulted in the whole thing landing somewhere in Sri Lanka, or Malaŵi!

Regards,

AgingChild

I'm a bit clueless on greater-UK geography, so HeyJude set me straight:

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:44 PM

Hi Aging,

I unfortunately won't be in Haw-Haw's neighborhood. It would have been great to meet her in person but the funeral is in Banbury, Oxon and quite far from Gosport, Hants.

[I know "Hants" is "Hampshire"… but the word still looks like "Pants" to me… which also means something a little different to the British.]

I'm definitely planning to make a trip next year though and will try to coordinate a meeting with her. She is so funny.

Have a good day today and talk soon,

:)))

HeyJude

Yeah, it was fun working there – ignoring the burnout of the long commute, of course. HeyJude's notes got me to thinking about who else there has a good, reliable tension-busting sense of humor. Former sub-boss Kendra comes to mind; though she always seemed on the edge of burnout herself, she's a quarter-century veteran of that firm, and likely works harder than anyone else. And her hyena-bark of a laugh (often at herself), heard easily from halfway across the building, was so contagious that I would get to giggling no matter what I was focused on at the moment.

Aurelio's great, too, and will go far – he's another hard-working, hard-playing person… though often more likely to fall into silence or seriousness than silliness… which isn't a bad thing. I hope he's been keeping his pun-muscles flexed.

I'll have to suggest to HeyJude that she not overlook Priscilla when in need of a laugh. A contemporary of Kendra's, Priscilla's mix of sweet maternal personality and ornery youngish never-grew-up fifty-something joke-cracker is what that office still could use.

Just a few days before I left, Priscilla returned to work after spending most of a month in Italy. One morning she paused at the general-notices bulletin board by my desk, where I'd posted a reminder about that week's informal lunchtime guest-speaker event, titled "The Friendly Workplace".

Priscilla glanced at the notice while looking at the cafeteria menu, then snorted and said – pardon me, gentle readers – "'The Friendly Workplace'? What the he||'s that sh!t?" …and started giggling as she walked away.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment