Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Out of the Blue, part 2


I sent Blue Dog a note after getting yesterday's posting up:
Good afternoon, Blue Dog!
I received your comment earlier this afternoon, and I thank you for your kind words. I checked out your blog, and can honestly say you've got a much keener skill for opening folks' eyes than I could hope for. Preach on, sir!
Not out of egotism (well, I certainly hope not!), I'm putting your brief blurb up as part of my latest posting – but I'm not identifying you beyond your "handle", and the fact that you're a USAF veteran. (Salute!) Would you allow me also to put up a link to your blog in my next posting? I'd like to also pull a few (attributed!!) quotes from it to introduce my two or three readers to your line of thinking; would this be okay with you?
He took the time afterward to look over yesterday's blog here, and added a comment:
Link away. And again, thank you for that response. I'll be thinking and I may take a crack at it myself. I'll link back to your piece (saves me having to cover the same ground).
Blue Dog (look up Blue Dog Democrats for the inspiration to my handle, though, I am now Independent for the last eight or so years, after sixteen as a registered Democrat).
He even kindly sent me a note back (and included a gentle correction to something I'd misread on his profile at his blog):
Thank you! We all like praise. Please feel free to link me as you want. I plan to take a crack at the article myself as it is appearing in Myspace. My handle "Blue Dog" refers to my fiscally conservative Democratic roots. I became a Democrat in the Reagan years and am now Independent. I can't say I follow a particular philosophy, though, I am for the most part what they call "socially liberal" and for the most part, I take a hard look at government expenditures to make sure we get what we think we are paying for.
It was delightful to hear from you!. Oh yes one other point, I am not retired Air Force. I spent six years in the Air Force.
My next few blogs are going to look at some difficult free speech issues, the Spanish letter, and I think I have something else on the back burner. I tend to throw stuff into a file when I'm at work (I'm the boss so I get to play a bit) and then massage it at home at night after my kids go to bed.
Again, it was lovely to get your email.
I'm going to keep my eye on his blog, and strongly advise both my readers to do the same. You can find it here:
Do check out his various blog-entries and categories – he got rolling just last month, but there's plenty of material there already. I must say the fellow's got a good, sharp mind, and argues very rationally and precisely. Again – much like our regular guest-contributor here, Spartacus, Blue Dog has no loyalties to either major American political party, and thus is well able to slam anyone who needs it.
I'm most curious to see his own take on that "Spanish" editorial. He also mentioned in his email to me about some particular professional expertise in Arabic he has – so I assume that includes a grounding in the cultures of most Arabic-speaking countries, which should give him some good, solid ground from which to address the editorialist's anti-Muslim tarbrush.
Blue Dog's blog is more politically focused than mine is, of course. I haven't the time – or anything close to his expertise – to really sniff out and maul the bad guys like he does… so I'll read him when I can, and chime in and share, too. Here's some of his bark and bite:
A different view about Iraq -- Comments on Three Inconvenient Truths About Iraq Right Now
[T]his article …counterbalances my own support for what I'll call the Biden plan.
It comes from the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research. Rightly or wrongly, I view this conservative think tank as a window into the current administration's thoughts. It's well connected with its alumni having occupied administration posts, commissions, panels. People tend to associate it with the neoconservative moment (Irving Kristol is a senior fellow at AEI). Michael Novak and Richard Perle were also previously associated with AEI.
…I post this article partly to draw our attention to a resource that we have in our quest to evaluate our government and it's policies. These think tanks constantly publish position papers on issues, papers that end up on the desk of our congress men and women. These entities are extremely infuential and if you read their statements, you often access the facts and documents on which our representatives base their decisions. If we read these position papers from both conservative and liberal think tanks, we will be prepared to understand and debate the issues that much better.
The Brookings Institution is a relatively liberal think tank (it made the Nixon enemies list; check out what they are saying about universal health care). The Heritage Foundation is another conservative think tank. And finally, I can almost hear the boos and the hisses, the ACLU.
Not just politics; how about judicial-system travesties? E.g.:
Thoughts on Letting a Potential Rapist and Pedophile Go Free Based on No Interpreter
When I went to elementary school—thirty-four years or so ago—we spoke of America as a melting pot, a land where cultures clash to reform into something new and unique. The term came from a 1908 play by English writer Israel Zangwill, which transposed the plot of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet to New York City, with the star-crossed lovers now from Russian Jewish and Russian Cossack backgrounds.
…Flash forward, and we no longer talk of melting pots, but rather we favor cultural pluralism and analogize to salad bowls.
Whether we speak of pots or bowls, the American recipe works only if our criminal justice system can do justice in an environment of clashing cultures and languages. If our Constitution's "speedy trial" provision mandates that a potential rapist and pedophile goes free, because the Court cannot locate an interpreter, we have a nightmare, not a system of justice.
And back to politics, of course:
Thoughts on Why I am Not a Liberal/Conservative
If forced to drape myself in the robes of a political philosophy, to abandon a simple independent stance, I would don the sometimes mocked garb of an American centrist. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, centrism is the "political philosophy of avoiding the extremes of right and left by taking a moderate position."
To me, it is not so much a rigid political philosophy where you define what it means to be a centrist for all time, but rather it is a conscious decision to reject the extremes of both the far right and the far left. As John Avlon said, "At a time when political debate is too often dominated by the far left and the far right, Centrists cut an independent path between the extremes—putting patriotism before partisanship and the national interests before special interests."
Perhaps John F. Kennedy put it better when he stated, "extreme opposites resemble the other. Each believes that we have only two choices: appeasement or war, suicide or surrender, humiliation or holocaust, to be either Red or dead." Speech, November 16, 1961. With his words in mind, I try to maintain an open mind about the issues that face our country, to search for solutions without reliance solely on the ideology of any one party, and to adopt the correct position whether it is to the right, the left, or something a bit closer to the center.
Of course, this irritates my coffeehouse friends…
Well, to me Blue Dog isn't reading all that centrist. Much of what he's written thus far jibes with my own feel on those issues, and I would characterize myself as more left of center. But let me state that I haven't given the concept of position the degree of thought that Blue Dog has, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment