Thursday, August 2, 2007

Out of the Blue, part 3


Likely on the market for (i.e., desperate for) a laugh, old friend Spartacus gave this Empty-Tomb blog a lookover this week, reading up on my recent comments on Blue Dog and on Blue Dog's blog, where he very expertly skewers the political blowhards in his very-steady crosshairs.

Not one to beat my chest about myself – really! – I didn't want to short out Spark-a-Cuss's email by hollering to him what I'd been up to. I'd just been hoping he would stumble over my last couple entries here at some point and weigh in. One reason is because Sparty, like Blue Dog, served in the Air Force (eight years, in Spart's case); and he seems to have a very similar distrust in the powers that rule the roost from Washington DC, and Blue Dog also seemed to have a bit of a leftward slant. Sparks (to me) seems more left-leaning than Blue Dog (I suspect Sparky's ancestors doggy-paddled over from Sicily to Pisa to help build that famous tower). Blue takes genuine pains to claim more centrist turf, but, well, my myopic, biased eyes still see a bit of a that-a-way slant.

Up as usual till the wee hours (when clocks are much smaller), Sparks sent me a note out of the blue:

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 12:19 AM

I read with interest your latest blog posts, and then hopped over and spent a scant few minutes at Bluedog's. From what little I've seen, have to admire the man's thought process and knowledge. He obviously has a lot more patience than I do. Really enjoyed the "Damn Liberalism" and the excerpt from JFK's speech (though I do have to quibble with the inclusion of the Interstate Highway System--in my view it is one of the more odious boondoggles to have been inflicted upon the American people).

Though you (and I--at first) perceive his views as far more to the left than he professes, after some thinking it occurred to me--things have reached such a point of polarization and far right propaganda saturation, a moderate view actually seems more leftwing than it really is. What was that about the Bush reality distortion field?

I have to admit though, personally I am glad we haven't been touching much upon these subjects lately--it simply takes so much out of me. I get so angry at what I see as willful, obstinate rejection of simple truths (re JFK's creed above). I don't seem to have the constitution for political debate--my Siciliano blood starts boiling and I'm looking for an ear to slip an icepick into!

So bravo to Bluedog! May he fight the good fight!

I should be a matchmaker. Anyway, this morning I wrote back:

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 11:35 AM

Why, just pop on over to BlueDog Thoughts and drop off a complimentary comment, if you haven't already. He was just putting up that "Liberalism" rant as I was getting my own posting together.

His overall stance/approach to the powers that be seems to parallel yours, though reined in a bit more toward starboard than port. I figure between that and the USAF background, you two ought to sit down over a cool and welcome tankard the next time you're in [his part of the] country.

Re the interstate system as a boondoggle: how 'bout we take that one up on the blog? I'm not in agreement (will detail further in another posting or two), so I'm curious to see which exit you've turned off at. I don't want to look at, say, New Jersey's Garden State Parkway as representative of the whole interstate system – and ditto the Pennsylvania Turnpike… shudder!

And we'll hit the highway here soon enough. There's another topic or two I want to get out here first, though. Besides a long-overdue tackling of global warming and sensible Earth-stewardship, I've been mulling over another email-go on blues-music that Sparklous and I had recently; some of his words of appreciation of (and expertise in) that genre really need to get out on there. Also, I did mention quite some time ago that I wanted to paste up here an older exchange of our about Jackson Pollock – I still see paint-spatters, but Sparkles sees a tortured artist. (He also says "tomahto".)

This sequiturs me into where I wanted to go in the first place, as of a couple days ago. If you've been reading this blog over the last several weeks, you really should be looked at more closely.

No; I mean, you've probably noticed the stunning paucity of blog-entries last month. You didn't? Well, I did. Yes, I've been busy – between the job hunt, a lot of personal papers of mine and my dad's to work with (this includes fiddling with my time-absorbing, three-generation-old stamp collection), and labors around the house that have clamored for attention for a long time... there's been quite a lot to keep me busy. Plus, during this time, I painstakingly went through all my blogs since late January, repairing more futzed-up formatting, and compiling a good, hefty list of topics I'd referenced but never gotten to follow up on.

I think that at some level, deep inside – despite keeping both upbeat and busy – I've also had a bit of the creepin' depression pulling a few of my marionette-strings. It's not enough to worry about, but I refuse to let it seize hold of me for very long. It does tend to cause me to withdraw, and ordinarily this blog's been a great outlet. So I will simply keep busy, and ensure for myself that I'm doing all I can to get myself back onto the rolls of the employed: it can, and does, eat away at anyone in this between-jobs state. And… I'll get out of it; simple.

A few blog-postings ago, I mentioned an awesome firm I'd interviewed with. Without identifying them, I will say that they're based a healthful walking-distance from where I live; they're an interfaith, non-profit company whose work parallels that of Habitat for Humanity.

In case you're curious how this turned out, the company founder/president's outbound (and outgoing) executive assistant – whose position I'd interviewed for – got a note out to me just yesterday morning:

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:48 AM

Good Morning AgingChild,

Thank you for coming by to meet with [the president] and for the courtesy of your resume.

Your many talents and qualities made the decision difficult, but please be advised that the position has been filled.

We will keep your information on file for future reference.

Again, our thanks for your time and interest in [this company].

We wish you the best of luck in your job search.

The glass really is half-full; this was disappointing, but there's a sincere, professional compliment there, re my "many talents and qualities". And that's what I take away from her note. I sent her a courtesy-response late this afternoon:

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:11 PM

Good afternoon, [first name]!

Thank you for the update, and I'm genuinely pleased [your company] was able to find an executive assistant!  I do admit my personal disappointment that I was not the candidate selected, yet I recognize as well that having presented myself and my strengths to you and to [your president], my confidence that I have much to offer professionally has been further confirmed.

I especially appreciate having had the opportunity to visit [your company's] offices; I found my discussions with you and Mr. [president] were especially eye-opening and educational, vis-à-vis the operations and mission of non-profit, socially focused firms.

Thus bestirred, I would like to offer [your company] my services as a volunteer in their endeavors around [a pair of towns where the firm is presently doing work] – schedules permitting, of course.  Please let me know what I can do to assist.  I've no great homebuilding skills – e.g., I tend to splash the paint, and hit my thumb when hammering, but that hasn't stopped me yet around my own home.

Thank you kindly for any further guidance you and [your company] could provide me, and congratulations again on filling the executive assistant position!

Kindest regards,

Aging Child

Before I'd even finished my note, I stepped over to their website and made a small donation of 25$ – not to ingratiate myself, but to support their work, and as a personal thank-you. I did not call attention to this at all; again, that kind of chest-beatery isn't me. The executive assistant answered my email almost immediately:

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:29 PM

Good Afternoon Aging Child,

Thank you for this generous offer of your time and assistance. I will forward your offer and this information onto [the president].

Best regards,

[first name]

I sent her one more thank-you for her quick response; I'll let both you readers know what further comes of this.

Depression, my tuchis. I feel great; I'm out of the blues.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment