Friday, December 28, 2007

Third Day of Christmas: Don't Just Count Your Blessings


During his Christmas-Eve homily, our pastor repeated the staggering declaration he'd unloaded on us during the Thanksgiving-Day mass:

Everything we have that is in excess of what we must have to meet our needs… belongs to the poor.

In this statement, I think some folks might just suspect they hear an echo of the torch-bearing, mud-faced rabble at their gates. This is not so, however; it was not a call to societal revolution from the pulpit, but rather a call to revolution of our comfortable-Americans' tight grip on our wallets when it comes to seeing to the needy.

Certainly a hurricane flooding a city (especially when the city isn't Crawford or Kennebunkport), a pair of skyscrapers brought down by a mangy handful of cowards, a country stripped bare by tsunami, a village by earthquake or mudslide… will embolden quite a few of us to open the wallet-strings and roll up our sleeves.

And so we must. But – as Jesus Himself said – we will "always have the poor"; eventually the catastrophes are remedied, the dead buried and mourned, the displaced rehoused, and so on. But conditions of need and poverty remain.

I don't know about you, but thinking about this gets me to squirming in real discomfort. Beyond my several-times-a-year boxload or bagload of clothing, computers, etc., to Goodwill, and the three days I spent earlier this month helping out (I was paid, not volunteered… and so I squirm more) at the Salvation Army, and my church-offerings… well, these are all easily done, and low-demand. But it's been years since I pitched in at the local soup kitchen, for instance.

Indulge the uncomfortable thought a little longer. Posit a Judgment Day, okay? You can be agnostic, atheistic, or exempt (however you've rationalized it) the rest of today. But just for now, posit a moment, after death, when who you are and what you've done is laid out before you and your creator-judge. How many people in need will speak up in your defense? How many non-ignored hungry people – down the street, or across any ocean you can imagine – will say that you alleviated a credible amount of their desperation? Their children's?

You see why I squirm?

Well, at this point a lot of people duck out by slickly sliding over to the warm-and-fuzzy belief that a loving, benevolent God does not judge, but rather lives by compassion and forgiveness. Maybe… but I'd rather be prepared for somewhat less rosy-colored scenarios. Just posit with me on this, okay? And so... I'm squirming.

Sure, "Jesus loves me, this I know", and all that – but doesn't he also love the poor and suffering every bit as much as He loves me, in my heated/cooled house? Here where there's food in the fridge and cabinets and in a gift basket on my bed beside me, in fact? (Thanks, Alicia and Levi!) Down the hall I have hot water within seconds, and a flushing toilet. I can drive to the hospital or doctor or dentist if something goes wrong, or press 9+1+1 on my cell phone if I can't drive.

I bet I could walk down the road for ten or fifteen minutes, and find a sidewalk-spot, or doorway, where someone will be sleeping tonight, or slept last week. I bet you could too. How many meals could your brand-new Wii buy? How many nights of housing would your iPod have bought? Will God's justice – even his fairness – simply overlook this, once you're laid in the cold earth? Will He simply forget the desperation of the majority of humankind?

If you're not squirming now, or at least squawking in objection, your heart has shut down… or your earbuds have drowned out the sound of its beating. Regardless; I've set you up now for the second point – corollary or parallel; whatever – to Father's staggering statement, which he also made during the Christmas-Eve Mass:

The poor own Heaven.

Period.

Don't you remember the Beatitudes from Sunday School? You'll find them in Matthew 5:3-12 and Luke 6:20-22 (and following). Luke records the very first one as "Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours". This may mean, yes, simply that they are assured a Heavenly reward for all they've suffered here on earth.

But… are you going to bet all your marbles that this is not quite literal, and doesn't in fact mean that the poor actually own Heaven? Don't know about you, sister/brother… but I don't dare.

Yes; Matthew's parallel (5:3) reads "the poor in spirit". But I repeat: are you gonna bet everything you have and are on Jesus' words referring strictly to the spiritually struggling?

If your many platters of Christmas-feast leftovers are beginning to taste a bit sour in your gut right about now (they sure are in mine), then His message has not fallen on deaf ears, or blind eyes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment