Monday, December 31, 2007

On the sixth day of Christmas: We are family


Yesterday's posting elicited an interesting, lengthy comment that I'm going to try to tackle in a couple weeks; right now, I'm lining things up on the front burner for next week.
There is the possibility that this might be another spam (I'm up to 4,077 incoming spams since I got rolling here less than a year ago). But I dug around a bit, and it seems this fellow does exist, and had lifted at least a goodly-sized junk of the text from his own blog… which I'll link in here once I've got his permission. I did send him a note back (subject-line "Five Golden Ringers"), in response to his comment (and masked his email address so he doesn't get spam-slammed):
Good morning, DoubtingThomas:
Thank you for your comments; these are common modern-day criticisms, and I'd like to address them in a more public forum than just via email between you and me. Would you be okay with it if I post your comments, and my responses, on my blog? I won't post your email address unless you request it, and will keep you anonymous. This will keep the spammers away from you, and also any more fundamentalist, rather rigid folks from trying to excoriate you.
I do have a bit of a docket built up for now, though, so this will have to wait at least a couple weeks: I'll be examining some more specific issues of Jesus' birth/life circumstances (as I outlined briefly yesterday) through January 6. On Wednesday I'm going to begin the first of two weekly features, this being a spotlight on a friend's television scripts. Thursday or Friday I'll begin the other, which is a how-to on building a really cool blues guitar, courtesy of another friend. I also intend to take at least a day or two in January and try tackling the lightning-rod issue of abortion, from the standpoint of a liberal, feminist Catholic man who is nonetheless obedient to the Church. [And before January is out, I'm also going to clean off His Holiness, Pope Pius XII.]
Again, what you've had to say is deserving of good, point-by-point attention, and I want to be sure it gets some serious, public focus, even if just so my other two readers, who likely share at least some of your viewpoints, might have (I hope) their own confusion to some degree ameliorated.
Regards,
AgingChild
No word back yet. Even if the comment's from a bogus sort (and some of my spam-laden "comments" have featured stolen text), the points he's trying – rather weakly and superficially, I think – to make are in need of reasoned, educated answer… or at least the best I myself can offer. Later, friend.
Anyway, back to humility.
Today, the first Sunday after Christmas, the Church marks as the Feast of the Holy Family (i.e., Jesus, His mother Mary, and His foster-father – Mary's husband – Joseph). St. Joseph I want to write on specifically; this, too, will be later, most likely in mid-March.
But it must be pointed out here that Jesus' prime role models in life were these, his earthly parents. I said a couple days ago that Joseph was more than just a carpenter, that he would best be referred to as a construction worker. The Greek word that has been translated as "carpenter" from the oldest extant texts of the Gospels is τεκτον (tekton), which refers to a worker in stone as well as in wood. Though the Bible doesn't mention it (and shouldn't need to), he and Joseph and their work-crew probably assisted in constructions ongoing in the town of Sepphoris, just a few miles up the road from their Nazareth home.
That Jesus was familiar with at least some practices of stone- and woodworking is evident in several places, such as Matthew 21:42, Luke 14:28 and 6:41-2, and so on. (He also showed genuine familiarity with animal- and plant-husbandry; my own little theory is that He spent quite a few of his first thirty years working in a number of very different professions.)
Not having done a whole lot of it myself, I do recognize that hard work does often foster humility in people. Joseph also showed his own humility (and trust) in immediately and unquestioningly heeding divine promptings (in the form of angels who commanded him in dreams), most particularly in doing an about-face when he was ready to divorce Mary when she turned out to be pregnant: instead he married her, and raised the child as his – their – own, doing his utmost to protect these two particular loved ones when their lives were threatened.
Joseph can be called "the silent saint", since nowhere in the Bible are his words recorded. So he speaks most loudly in his actions: his love for and devotion to Mary; his determination to be the best of fathers to Jesus; his deep and living faith; his trust in and obedience of the divine; and so on. We could all do far, far worse than emulate him.
Mary – sinless and saintly – lived a sweet humility, too. She was innocent and trusting. When Gabriel informed Zechariah (married to a cousin of Mary) that he was to become a father in his old age – and that this child would serve to prepare the people for the coming of the Messiah – Zechariah's fear turned to something almost derisive, and he responded with, essentially, "You don't know what you're talking about." That was also the last thing he said in nearly a year.
Mary's own response six months later, when Gabriel told her God wished her to carry the child who would be the Messiah, was simply to ask the angel to explain this further. Which he did, and so she – totally trusting – did. Think about it: absolute trust requires genuine humility; otherwise, we'd stand up and say, "Wrong; I know better." This was Zechariah's mistake… from which he certainly learned the hard way. Mary never failed in her own trust in God, and in her son – His Son – and His mission of salvation to Judaism and beyond.
(I need to cut this short, though – brother Sarge just called, and over the phone twisted my arm to join him in a two-mile run through Pennsylvania Dutch Country. I can handle that; I'd been planning on a midnight run through the neighborhood anyway. But it's going to be cold (~thirties); I'll let you know how it turns out.)
Humility is not weakness, however. Besides her agony of not flinching at having to helplessly watch her son's torture and execution, she showed her mettle as well – like any good Jewish mother – in even giving Jesus, the very Son of God, a good hard push.
This was at His first recorded miracle, at a wedding in a small town called Cana (probably modern-day Kafr Kanna), not far from Nazareth. (Mary, Jesus, and his newly-gathered disciples were among the invited guests.) You probably know the story: when the wine unexpectedly ran out – interestingly, only after the disciples arrived! – , Mary turned to her son, trusting fully that he could save the festive occasion from becoming a big social disaster.
Their exchange bears deeper study and treatment than I can give it here just now. I don't yet grasp the full spiritual dynamics behind all this, but I'd really like to read up on it more. In any case, Jesus seems to decline her request – and Mary does seem in turn to ignore her son's answer, and tells the master of ceremonies to follow Jesus' instructions. Essentially this appears to put her son on the spot, and he readily accedes to His mother's request in stunning abundance: by turning quite a big load of water into some 500 to 700 gallons of wine. This must have been quite some wedding – especially afterward!!
But do you see the humility? Mary trusts her son… and also refuses to take a seeming "No" for an answer. (And they wonder why we Catholics like to run our prayers through her sometimes!) Jesus, in turn, honoring his mother (Fourth or Fifth Commandment), quite thoroughly takes care of the matter – showing us in the process the great yield provided to those who do indeed trust. As Psalm 23 says, my cup is overflowing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment