Friday, December 14, 2007

The Work of the Season


I know, I know – sometimes it looks like I've abandoned this blog. Far from it! In fact, I'll be adding a couple weekly features (at least, until I run out of material) beginning next month:

1) Would you like to build a lapsteel guitar? Regular fodder-provider Spartacus set down his crossbow and throwing-axe long enough to do just that; stand by. We'll be looking over his shoulder as he goes through the steps, visiting one of his two workshops once a week; please do not touch the equipment.

2) Semi-adopted sister Chuckles has agreed to let me post her scripts here. No, I don't mean fonts; I'm talking actual scripts for television shows which she's written and pitched – they range from "The Simpsons" to "Star Trek" to "House". None have hit the screen yet (and they're already copyrighted, so don't get any dollar-signs in your eyes, okay?), but any day now… once the strike's over, that is. Oh, and did I mention she's legally blind?

…plus there are seasonal things I want to squeeze in over the next couple weeks, and I’m still committed to scraping the muck off His Holiness Pius XII; I'll also be tackling a particularly tough issue next month: abortion – from a liberal (yet loyal) Catholic's viewpoint.

Back to the immediate present, though. Without any appreciable loss in weight, the month thus far has seen me spread thinner than I've been in some time. Thanks to a helpful (i.e., desperate) national staffing agency, today I finished out my second full week at the headquarters of a world-spanning firm sited just off the tarmac of a regional airport that's also close to my home.

Being the USAF veteran and wingnut/propellerhead he is, on my very first day I happened to be in a supply-room, and I called Spartacus and gloated at him, identifying the firm (he's quite familiar with it). There he was, in the mountainous wilds, busily preparing for the next snow-onslaught, and here I was, within not-too-many-dozen yards of lots of jet fuel and small planes.

I may yet meet the business-end of one of his axes; he could've taken it as mean of me.

A portion of my assignment for this firm's Office Services department has seen me pitching in with the overworked folks in the corporate mailroom… thus netting me a harvest of many handfuls of world stamps come the end of each day. (These are not part of my wages… which aren't spectacular. But it's work.) Daughter One, Shellie, was a Psychology major, and thereby I've once again vindicated her academically-qualified assessment that I do, indeed, need a life. Woo-hoo!

Before taking on the privilege of ducking particularly low-flying aircraft, I was honored to spend three humble days at the beginning of this month helping out the commendable people of the Salvation Army – this was their near-downtown location at a county seat. They needed some folks to help on the admin end of getting needy families set up for assistance in simply being able to give their kids some toys and clothing for Christmas. I accepted the request without hesitation. I met and spoke with (in English and shaky Español) quite a few families.

Let me give the Salvation Army an unmitigated, enthusiastic plug here. According to their latest annual report (see page 17), a paltry 5% of their moneys coming in is earmarked to pay for fundraising; even their operating expenses – headered "Management & General" take up no more than 12% of their expenses. My understanding (I've not yet verified, but Forbes confirms) is that this is far better than any other community service charity out there – better by staggeringly far than United Way; better even than my own Knights of Columbus, for that matter.

You want your charitable contributions to go the furthest, then for your desperate brothers' and sisters' sake, people, don't skip the Kettle. Shoot; you can even donate online, and tell them how you want your donation allocated.

Other donations: household goods, clothing, etc. – of course! And if you have one of those Planet Aid clothing-donation boxes in your neighborhood… stay away from those scammers! (I want to take them on here sometime, too.) They are not a non-profit charitable organization. Give your giveaways to the bell-ringers, or to Goodwill. I do.

Let me repeat what our Pastor preached for Thanksgiving:

Everything we have that is in excess of what we must have to meet our needs… belongs to the poor.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment