Friday, November 16, 2007

Academia Nuts


Incredibly, the hire-hunt goes on!

While His Holiness waits patiently in the wings – I've not at all forgotten my commitment to correct an inexcusable misapprehension out there – I've been continuing my work and focus on signing up with my next employer.

For no clearly understandable – yet nonetheless very intriguing – reason, I've found before me a good number of open positions at colleges/universities. This began with an awesome prospect at Mt. St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Maryland. The prospect itself fell through, and this was a serious disappointment, since that particular administrative position (while not spectacularly remunerative) had as its benefits <deep breath> free tuition at a Catholic university, with onsite seminary.

That university itself remains on my short list of schools I hope to apply to as well for completing my degree, ditto their seminary (Deus volent).

Other earlier employment prospects, too, have dropped away, but my determination is rock-solid on 1) reemployment, 2) education completion, and plunging deeper into 3) professed-religious life. I have to prioritize first on that pesky matter of employment first, since it makes the second item (and thence the third) possible.

These past couple weeks have seen me testing and interviewing for a couple different positions with a county government not especially far from The Mount. I should hear on both these prospects early next week; stay tuned, and join me at matins in the meantime.

Today I turned in a pair of résumés to a highly accredited secular university, close both to that county seat, and to Mt. St. Mary's. The level of work for which I'm looking, and am – pardon any tinge of ego here; it's really not intentional – qualified, had one of the vice-presidents of that university herself promptly acknowledge (albeit in a single-word email) receipt of my application. Here's how I know I'm not being egotistical about aiming high relentlessly: it gives me the shakes.

The epitome of these shakes (only before and afterward, dem Gott sei dankbar) came early this week with my interview at yet another (private) educational institution. This one, too, I won't name while I'm under consideration. Its location is rather more removed from The Mount, yet no less wonderfully scenic (except hilly, where the Emmitsburg terrain is up against the Maryland mountains).

The position involves direct administrative support of the college provost (who fits squarely under the college's president on the org chart) and his academics-staff. Thus the interview was not with him alone, or his executive assistant (which is, essentially, the position he's looking to fill), or both, but with <further deep breath> his entire six-person selection committee.

After a terribly embarrassing delay in arriving (due to a bobble in the directions, and a bobble in my following them correctly), I was ushered by one of the administrative/academic people into a boardroom, shown to the head of the table… and six more people filed in. To break the ice and lower my pulse, I admitted dizzily to the provost, "I feel like I'm going for my PhD!" He half-smiled in a very deanlike way and said, "We can't grant you one of those, but we'll give you two academic credits when you're done."

About ten years ago I was interviewed by two people at once – first and only time for me, for such a tie-tugging honor. Later, after hiring me (almost immediately following the interview) the two of them told me that it had seemed to them I'd responded very well, demonstrating a keen skill at thinking fast on my feet. I appreciated the compliment, especially since I'd actually been seated at the time.

Being interviewed by six people at once – seated, standing, or under heavy sedation – was not three times harder; it was at least nine times harder (three-squared): half of these people had PhDs. Me, I don't even have my Associate's. Yet.

And you know, I didn't stammer, I didn't stumble, and I sweated only where they couldn't see it. I looked them each mostly in the eye, and answered their questions – many quite standard for an executive-level administrative position. I laid out for them why I was interested in their institution (I'd researched it some before leaving for the interview: sine qua non!), what my work habits were, how I would go about working with them should they hire me, and so on. I'd already furnished them with my résumé and references – a single page each, even though this is no longer de rigueur.

(I wish my dad were still around; he lived and breathed University for forty-some years – he'd have been impressed, supportive, and loaded me with tons of advice.)

I met with the provost afterward, in his office; I recognized two of his posters as being Roman works… and then misidentified them as of Pompeian-Roman, rather than Egyptian-Roman. He discussed the position further with me, and I discussed his interviewee further with him. But he was overdue for another meeting, and we had to cut this short. Being weak on my Greek, I did quote a line from Caesar on the way out, and earned another half-smile.

Following this, I took time to view the college (set on the grounds of a former Protestant (?!) seminary) with one of my non-doctoral interviewers (she's been my liaison with the selection committee, and with the provost). We get/got along well, a relationship I did not mar – I think – when I nearly choked to death on my water while we stood there looking over the quadrangle.

We'll see how this one turns out, and I'll let you folks know. The distance is a bit of a stretch (though the drive as beautiful as one can find in the Pennsylvania/Maryland area in the autumn), and the salary would be a third less than at least one other just-interviewed spot. Nonetheless, I remain quite interested, and have not ruled it out.

Interviewees: do it by the book. When you've interviewed (and recovered… and don't take long about it!), be sure to send a thank-you letter. Sure, you can do it by email today. But don't. For me, I felt the provost and his team deserved the added courtesy/consideration because of the demand it must have been on them to coordinate their schedules around the interview, and to bend further around my <coff> arriving late.

So the next day – Wednesday – I spent more time sweating over my thank-you letter to the provost than I had spent sweating in his boardroom. But this was for the same reason: I wanted this to turn out well. Following is the text (within reason) of my thank-you letter. Yeah; I can do this.

[name, address, cell-phone number, email address]

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

[provost's name, title, office address]

Dear Dr. [provost]:

I would like to thank you for the time you and members of the [name] College [committee name] staff took to meet with me regarding the [formal title] position with [his institution].  In particular, I deeply appreciate your time and consideration, and that of your staff, in readily accommodating my delayed arrival to interview for this position.

Having spoken with you and your colleagues, and presented you with responses I hope to have been reasonably sufficient and illuminative toward your filling the position, I remain firm in my assessment that I am an excellent candidate – even absent prior academic experience.

Beyond my technical and professional strengths, and the breadth of experience I would bring to this position, I know that my positive manner and personal commitment to providing exceptional support – and to individual growth and development – are keen assurance that I would be able to step in facilely.

Thus I am most interested in working for you and the [department] Division.  I look forward to hearing from [my liaison] once the decision has been made regarding this position.  Do please feel free to contact me at any time if further information might be needed.  My cell phone number is [etc.].

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

[AgingChild]

The next day – yesterday – I wrote, printed, signed, and mailed thank-you letters to each of the other five interviewers, basing them somewhat on the above. My liaison/interviewer had given me the full names and titles of the other interviewers, and I double-checked online as well for middle initials, PhD status, and so on, to make sure I'd address their letters and envelopes completely and correctly… making darned sure I didn't put the right letter in the wrong envelope, either.

Again, this is good manners, professional courtesy, and a further opportunity to show that I can write in business/academic English, and print out professionally-prepared (by me) envelopes for mailout when needed/requested. You try it.

Worst-case scenario is that these folks do not hire me. I can accept that, because I've now had it confirmed for me, again, that if they would take the time and interest to give me a good second look for a good position, then other potential hirers will do the same.

Added tremendous bonus: this has been great practice, regardless… and I've even developed for myself a great thank-you letter template.

And so, what's next, while I wait for word on all of the above positions? Well, there happens to be yet another educational institution that can use what I have to offer.

Within a couple hours or so of Baltimore and Washington, DC, are at least two very good schools for the deaf. And this one is looking for an Executive Assistant. In their posting for this open position (with a salary substantially higher than anything else I've applied for), I have all the skills and requirements listed. I am also an easy study in languages… and this particular institution requires as well that their new hire be willing to learn (American) Sign Language.

Dealbreaker? Not on your life. I learned the ASL alphabet almost thirty years ago, I can spell out without difficulty, read a wee little bit of signing… and would not hesitate to learn more. I have a (non-deaf) friend who teaches it, too. You kidding??

Time to fill out another application; this is going to be fun, and another great challenge.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment