Friday, September 21, 2007

Incensed and Enthused


Actually, while temporarily here in the ranks of the unemployed, there are three future-focused endeavors I've been pursuing, though with <guilty blush> varying degrees of active pursuit:
1) Re-employment, but closer to home than my most recent employer;
2) Return to college and get a) associate's degree, b) master's degree, c) etc.; and
3) Find the next steps required toward the priesthood or/and professed-religious life.
This week I must have fired off another dozen résumés, as well as hobnobbed and networked at a bustling job fair. I also paid a courtesy-call on the Provincial House of the religious (women's) order where I'd applied for an open executive-assistant position early last week. The friendly, upbeat receptionist there – incredibly, she remembered me! – checked, and confirmed that only now is the placement-person beginning to review the applications… and she visibly and verbally crossed her fingers for me!
And: where would we Catholic men be without our mothers? My own's been urging me to not neglect Items 2) and 3) above, especially given that many centers of higher education are heavily plugged into their surrounding communities, and have networks of their own in-the-know job-placement folks.
Since I had reason to be in that stretch of Maryland just down the road from Pennsylvania, this afternoon I dropped in on Mount St. Mary's University in tiny Emmitsburg, Maryland (home also of the National Firefighters' Memorial, by the way… and of an ex-girlfriend, come to think of it, one best referred to as Mrs. Robinson, should I mention her here again).
Clueless as to where most of anything is on campus, I popped in at the Student Information Center, and was patiently steered toward the buildings (Admissions, and Seminary) and online resources, where I could take on all three of the above pursuits.
Even before the Admissions building, I had to get to the Seminary, find some kind of office and get some info on the admissions – specifically, to this seminary itself, and in general as a late vocation to various seminaries and avowed religious orders.
Up the steps – and even before I was through the thick wooden doors, I saw a smoky chapel straight ahead, and my pulse doubled instantly. The smoke, of course, was incense, nearly thick enough to swim through, which I did. A priest was just finishing a Eucharistic exposition/adoration, and I did manage a glimpse of Jesus Himself (yes) as the Blessed Sacrament was removed from the monstrance and put in the tabernacle.
(I'll explain these later for you Protestants… and for many of you Catholics, too; shame on you! For now, all of you go back to John 6:28-68 and read Jesus' words. If we take them literally – and every indication is that this is exactly how Jesus meant them – then the Holy Eucharist is Jesus physically present among us, period. Or he was lying. You wanna call Jesus a liar?)
In attendance there were a dozen or more seminarians – to the untrained eye (including my own), looking like priests in their black-and-whites; among their number as they left was a Franciscan friar I recognized from the Missionaries of the Eternal Word, as seen on EWTN. (Mt. St. Mary's Seminary is their seminary.) As my pulse doubled again, we traded hellos, and he went on down the hall.
I stopped one of the last seminarians leaving, asking him whom I should see, or where I should go, regarding admissions and vocations; he guided me to another seminarian. For a moment I found I had been politely led into the office of the Monsignor himself, His Eminence (I’m not sure if that's the correct mode of address) Steven P. Rohlfs, rector and vice-president.
This was for all of five seconds… which was good, since I would have fainted at seven. His executive assistant ran a gentle, cheerful, and competent interference, and led me into another office or two. She asked patient questions, and gave me the seminary's course catalog, a listing of further resources online (as well as email addresses) specific to my archdiocese, and some further suggestions. As my heartbeat at last approached near-normal (although I was now breaking out in a sweat of mixed enthusiasm, wow, and serious yikes), she also let me know that there'd be a mass at four (it was now a bit after three-thirty) at the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, on campus.
This was halfway between the Seminary and the University's Administration building… and I never made it as far as Administration; that'll be Monday's trip: once in the Chapel, I remained. I had a little time for prayer and meditation, amid the seminarians there, and further ones joining us seated and kneeling (believe me, I was on my knees).
Then the priests came in, dressed in red robes in honor of the martyrdom of St. Matthew (gospel-writer, Apostle, and entrenched sinner like the rest of us), whose feast day is today. There were eleven priests, probably twice as many altar servers (adult men, not altar boys/girls), and dozens of seminarians filling the old, straight-backed pews. I even got to chant with them in Greek! Incense was once again being wafted about, and I found myself thinking, "Ohhh, I am so out of my league here…"; I absolutely loved it.
As to being out of my league… well, the priest doing the homily – quoting his mother (as well he should) – pointed out that God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called. There's my consolation. I strongly believe I am indeed called into the religious life – by which I mean professed/avowed religious (monk/friar/brother), and not simply living religiously. This is not for any worth on my part or in my nature, but simply because, for whatever reason, there is something (small that it may be) that I can give the Church, and to the world.
Nothing captivates my mind and heart (and pulse) like the faith, and all things Catholica – not a lovely woman, not a box of unsorted nineteenth-century stamps, not even a one-way, first-class ticket to the country of my choice, with language lessons and native-born, English-fluent tutor thrown in at no extra charge.
I know this bores some folks to tears, but for me it is just absolutely thrilling. Most amazing today is that I didn't leave the Chapel doing a Cupertino. Well, there's always Monday.
 
Followup: Blue Dog left a warm (and unexpected) comment:
Blue Dog Sep 21, 2007
Wonderful, uplifting post. My prayers are with you and I suspect you will be surprised when you finally learn where God in his wisdom ends up placing you. I know I usually am … surprised that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment