Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Through the eyes of a child, you will see..."


I'm not going to add my voice – at least, not much – to the muted crowd-roar reflecting on the staggering events of this day, six years ago. I will be the first, though, to assert that I do stand with even the most conservative of my friends – especially the lovely, intractable Anon E. Mouse (see previous blog-posting).

Sometimes I can believe that in her eyes, the Decider who's put our country in such an awful mess – wrapping himself in the flag and standing on the ruins in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania – can do nothing wrong for this country and its place in the world. All our ills, all our wounds, are exclusively and totally the fault of the other guy… usually someone reading from the Koran, but sometimes speaking Spanish or Ebonics, or – worse – voting Democrat.

Nonetheless… at certain places all Americans are one; the events of September 11, 2001, build one such place, and Anon and I stand there together once a year – and I refrain from making bunny-ears behind her when the group-photo is taken, so to speak.

This afternoon I forwarded around to a dozen-plus friends and family an email she sent me yesterday; the first of its two embedded photos just breaks my heart:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:12 PM

With the significance of today's date – and suspending all political disagreements for the moment – I'd like to pass along something from a dear friend who sits across from the political spectrum from me.

You know how I feel about what we're doing in our current military theaters of operation, and the "decider" who's put us in them. Yet the fact remains that – beyond the ongoing deplorable conditions for the citizens of these countries – our own blood continues being spilled there. These are our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters… some of whom we will never laugh and smile and cry and pray with again.

I support our soldiers (Marines, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, National Guard – and civilians, too), and would love to see them all back home, safe in our arms, and soon. Until then, though, God be with them, and the suffering peoples they move among. Amen.

Regards,

AgingChild

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 8:56 AM

REMINDER TO PRAY 


Would You Send This Please


We have a long list of good friends whose husbands are deploying to Iraq next month. One of the wives sent me this. We feel compelled to send it on. Your prayers are deeply appreciated. These guys deserve our love, our hugs and most powerfully, our prayers.

Prayer Request:

I understand that life in Iraq is very difficult to bear right now. Our troops need our prayers for strength, endurance and safety. Send this on after a short prayer; please don't break it:

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our troops around the world. There's nothing attached; just send this to all in your address book. Do not let it stop with you, please -- of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine deployed in harm's way, prayer is the very best!!!

I don't know a thing about the source of the two images; I'll update this posting with them when/if I can get the info – there must be quite a story to the brave boy receiving what I'm guessing is his late father's (or mother's) flag.

I do object in the strongest possible terms to the Right's linking of the al Qaeda's attack on us six years ago, with the turmoil the administration chose to bring Iraq. But here I've kept my mouth – keyboard – largely shut. No need to say more; look at that boy's face again.

…No, let me bring in one more voice. Friend Chuckles (whose scripts/screenplays will make it up here at some point) was the first to respond; I'll forward this one around, too, shortly

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: FW: Would you send this please?


you need to play this for today.

chuckles

Country music is not my genre of choice – but daughter-one Shellie does like it, and has more than once opened my ears and eyes to how Nashville (or Bronson) cries from the American heart better than just about anyone else.

Amen; sing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment