Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving-Day Leftovers


As I admitted a few days ago, Thanksgiving Day was celebrated at my home with a small, mini-gathering of chunks of the family. In attendance were my mother, older brother Sarge and my sister-in-law-in-law Choggun-Nunim, my older daughter Shellie, and an overweight Maine coon cat masquerading in size and shape and warmth as a large furry turkey someone must have left under the dining-room table.

As I write this – midevening – sister Mew and her husband Arnold, plus kids Casper and JT, are still expected here to help clear out the leftovers… once football's done being played everywhere it's being played.

Mother and I joined farces – er, forces – and did decide to augment the roast beast with a Mae-West sized turkey breast; Sarge and Choggun-Nunim brought kimchee and kimbob (but no chopsticks!), and Shellie some nice crescent rolls and a fantastic (home-made… obviously did not learn from me) cherry cheesecake. No irony there – even though, remember, the gal's shed about twenty pounds thus far, and as always looks beautiful (thanks again to her mom).

Brother Doc – recovering from surgery – and family are out near the Chesapeake Bay, and no doubt recovering from their budgie-approved tryptophan repast. And Alicia and Levi and baybay-Dannay Lee in Boston may well have been eating treyf… so, nu?

Another can't-show is lovely thespian Daughter-Two, Portia: as always, her traditional, Bavarian, and likewise-lovely, mom keeps her little lambs in the corral, come major holidays.

So I gave our young'n a call. After three-odd (some very odd) years of Spanish, she's capstoning her high-school swath with elementary German, and doing quite well. A tutor at home helps… but is hardly necessary. And it turns out she did inherit a thing or two from her dad, though: a penchant for language and puns, the poor lass. As example, once – arrived at entirely on her own – she asked me, "What does a German call a bunch of fruit that's gotten in his way?"

Hah! "Fruit" in German is "Obst"; so I answered: "An Obst-acle?" Bingo.

Example two: she asked: "Then what do you call a German who sells beetles?" Portia meant insects, or possibly VW's, but I was thinking John, Paul, George, Stu, Pete, and Ringo. That one stumped me, but I should at least have guessed, "Ein Musik-car?" – playing off "Musiker", meaning "musician".

Nein. "Ein Verkäfer!" – and for you non-students of German, this is quite funny, since a "Verkäufer" is a "salesman", but "Käfer" means "beetle"! That got a good laugh from me! (Later, I ran these past Daughter One, Shellie, who's better in German than her sister… and has no tolerance whatsoever for puns. They fell flat – and I could have punned off that one in really bad taste, since "fall flat" in German is "durchfallen"… a word that also applies to, uh, intestinal distress. Never mind.)

Sensing the good daughter was on a roll, I decided to butter her up – in a manner of speaking, that is. So I delegated to her the annual Thanksgiving-stinker bilingual pun on her mom (Mutti), who amazingly steps right into it every year; I love this about her – so does our little Fräulein. We take full advantage of it.

Very little coaching at all, and then Daughter sets the phone down a moment and asks: "Mom – are we having duck again this year?" (Conversation is in English; for reference, the German word for "duck" is "Ente".)

"For Thanksgiving? No, we're having turkey." (Mutti's tone is "well, of course it's turkey – it's turkey every year". And "Thanksgiving" in German, by the way, is "Erntedankfest"… so you can see where Miss Innocent-Face is about to lead her poor mom.)

Portia's eyes blink for a moment; (faked) bafflement. "Well… isn't it Ente-Dankfest?"

Stunned pause. Mutti's face takes on a look of utter disgust – say, as though she'd just been slapped by a large, wet fish. And she turns away. Portia's laughing really hard, and Mutti knows where that one came from. No, I didn't see this – but I've gotten that look from her Mutti so many times over the past nearly-twenty years… early on, my name became a curse-word around the house. Heh-heh…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment