Monday, March 14, 2022

Whatever Happened to Spartacus? (part 1)

Both readers of this long-running (and at times long-dormant) blog likely remember many-years' friend Spartacus. A quick visit to the searchbox there on this page's northwest corner will turn up a warm number of times where he's very illuminatively weighed in on something I've passed along here, or has himself shared something of particular note. He's even taken the blog's mike – well, keyboard – more than once. Go ahead; check 'em out.

We met in elementary school more years ago than I can believe, and with mutual friend Eileen were the Huey, Dewey, and Louie of the playground. Then after just a couple fun and busy years, Spart's family moved a number of state lines away, and after a few letters we fell out of touch.

About three decades later (that can't be right), I located him online and reached out... and in a particularly short time we were close friends all over again. I found him to be sharp-minded, knowledgeable among a dizzyingly wide range of fields, including avionics and history of both Europe and of music. He is skilled in a number of art media, from intricate model aircraft, to palette and canvas, to fine-crafted (and rough-hewn) wood, to electronic music, and far more yet. I admire (and have envied) these exceptional skills... and have very few equivalents of my own.

We found ourselves on largely parallel paths politically as well, pitched well to the left of center: distrustful of entrenched politicians; advocate of the overlooked and underrepresented; anti-NRA, anti- big-business, anti-conservative, and so on. Economically, he considered himself an anarcho-syndicalist, while I was beginning to discover distributism.

And thus we were for a good many more years, buddies over the miles and internet, armchair scientists (and SF-readers), fellow snarkers via email, occasionally visiting each other's homesteads and families, and sharing tales of respective journeys and discoveries, and the every-so-often off-color chuckle.

Yet at the time that our now-adult friendship began to coalesce, my Catholic faith was returning to me, and vice-versa. Over the succeeding years it continued to deepen and flesh out, and enrich and inform and direct my inner life and values... in turn directing my outer actions.

Spartacus is (I believe) agnostic, and distrustful of organized religion... and I can't blame him, given the wealth of religious hypocrites and the hypocrisy of the wealthy "religious". Throughout nearly all our modern-years' friendship, he has been especially polite and respectful in regards to my ever-deepening faith, keeping his own read and opinion silently to himself. This was very rare to find, and I appreciated it. Nor has it ever been in my nature be a proselytizer, so I had no sense that what my heart had come to embrace could come across to him as obnoxious.

The growth in me of faith led to a shift in how I applied it to the world around me, most especially socially and politically. I was proud to have voted – twice – for an African-American for president, even while finding a growing discomfort within at how closely the Democratic Party, and seemingly its entire slate, from Commander-In-Chief to downtown dogcatcher, had blindly and resolutely aligned itself with values and objectives I could no longer align myself with, not and be the Catholic I wanted and needed to be. I've been a registered Democrat since my late teens, but, to paraphrase St. Thomas More, I am the king's good servant – and the Lord's first.

One of those troubling political thrusts is abortion... and long before Barack Obama finished out his second term, I realized I simply could no longer mark the ballot checkbox next to any candidate supporting that issue. At some other place on this blog, I'd like to detail why it's glaringly clear that abortion is cold-hearted infanticide, hand-in-glove with racism and entrenched political misogyny. Right now, and in immediately following posts, we're looking at a maelstrom-sized, inexplicable sea-change in a greatly valued friend, man, buddy... and that same rich and world-spanning sea turned shallow and stagnant and unnavigable.

And so at the next election – 2016 – I greatly wanted to cast my vote for the country's first major-party woman candidate for president... and simply could not. The alternative was to not vote, which would be to abandon my social duty, or to select another candidate. Decades ago, faced with a similar pair of unpalatable opponents, my father defiantly wrote in Mickey Mouse on his ballot.

I considered that, but chose instead to vote for the candidate most likely, if possible, to beat the former First Lady... and that happened to be the arrogant, pompous, womanizing jerk Donald Trump  who had also come down firmly on the pro-life side, where I myself was anchored. So come election day, I pinched my nose hard enough that it nearly bled, and pulled his box's lever.

We know how that election turned out; more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment