Monday, December 22, 2008

Closing the Single-Versus-Singular Issue, pt. 1


While I want very much for my postings here – when I can make them – to reflect for now on Advent and Christmas, I need for a moment to step back to some earlier postings on the idea of Catholics' single-issue voting: 
I'd intended to write this posting not to follow up – you folks can research and read up via avenues I've put up here, and through your own searches. But my readings of late in recent Catholic media caught my eye with a very familiar name; see my next posting… and I find I do need to follow up, and close this issue as far as my blog is concerned. 
As a bit of a point/counterpoint is, first, a reader's letter from The Catholic Review (or CR), the same Baltimore-archdiocesan newspaper referenced in my October 31 posting; this comes from the newspaper's November 27 issue. [Disclaimer: © 2008 The Cathedral Foundation, Inc., 880 Park Avenue, Baltimore MD 21201 (correspondence to: PO Box 777, Baltimore MD 21203), 888-768-9555, Mail [at] CatholicReview.org)
Don't be fooled by venomous writers 
I can't ever recall reading letters (CR, Nov. 20) filled with such venom. President-elect Obama was accused of being a Marxist, and prayers were called for his failure. Where was the outrage when President George W. Bush invade Iraq without provocation and began a war that has taken over 80,000 lives, many of them innocent women, children, and elderly? 
Over 4,000 of our own American soldiers have lost their lives, and many times that number are forever maimed, both physically and psychologically. Sen. John McCain wanted not only to continue this war but possibly to extend it into Iran and Syria for years on end. 
Where was the outrage when the U.S. began a program of torture? 
My faith has taught me that all life is sacred. The right to life doesn't stop with birth. 
Every four years, the Republicans trot out the anti-abortion / right-to-life mantra and hoodwink the Catholic bishops into giving them full support. As soon as the election is complete, the matter is forgotten by the politicians, and nothing is done. 
I'm largely in agreement with this writer (who I assume is, like me, both anti-abortion and anti-Bush). In all fairness, though, there must be pointed out a factor weighing deeply with many of the voters who cast their ballots by the candidate's/candidates' stance(s) on anti-abortion first: That over the course of this inexcusable, reprehensible shame of a war we've been in for nearly six years, with hundreds of thousands of lives lost directly because of it, many times that number, of the very youngest and most vulnerable of all lives were snuffed out through abortion. This abomination must stop – but the effort does not tie our hands and force us at election-time to be, pardon me, bedmates of Bush et al. 
That's what I've said here, and that's what the above letter-writer is saying as well. I did not close my eyes to that when I voted for Barack and the straight Democratic ticket, and I will not ignore it during his upcoming two terms in office – I hope, in fact, to begin engaging in more active anti-abortion activities, most likely (at least initially) through local-parish efforts, in particular via the Knights of Columbus. 
But I'm going off-track here. I do want to commend The Catholic Review for its fairness and balance in publishing letters on both sides of this (however needless, in my opinion) debate. Prime example: In that newspaper's December 4 issue, another reader writes regarding that previous letter: 
Agenda, faith collide 
[Your reader]'s letter (CR, Nov. 27) is the perfect example of a Catholic who is ready, willing, and able to throw the Church under the bus to promote her own political agenda. She states, in part: "The right to life doesn't stop with birth". Maybe, but by supporting the people and political policies that promote the slaughter of the innocent, [she] is not reflecting what I assume to be her Catholic faith, and what that faith has taught her in the past and does so until this day. 
I strongly disagree with this letter; a more realistic read of the previous one shows that that writer was speaking from a viewpoint of social concern, and peace activism, rather than mere politics… although her lump-them-all-together complaint about Republicans feeds into the perception of politicization, and should have been deleted before submittal. 
Here's another letter, published in the December 11 issue; we've already contrasted the views of the genuinely estimable George Weigel against the Bishops' document: 
Weigel column distorted by ideological bias 
George Weigel's recent review of the presidential election (CR, Nov. 20) was most disappointing. Without examining the reasons why 54 percent of Catholics voted for Sen. Obama or these voters' views on abortion, Mr. Weigel nevertheless describes these voters as "stupid" and "mindless". Mr. Weigel's view of the facts is distorted by his ideological biases. 
Preliminarily, Mr. Weigel's continued insistence that abortion must necessarily trump every other issue in a Catholic's selection of a candidate ignores the wise counsel of the U.S. bishops in "Faithful Citizenship": "Decisions about political life are complex and require the exercise of a well-formed conscience aided by prudence." Although it may be difficult for Mr. Weigel to believe, faithful Catholics in good conscience may come to prudential decisions which actually differ from his. 
In addition, Mr. Weigel's analysis fails to acknowledge what is plainly obvious to the most disinterested observer – that, as a practical matter, the one-issue approach to the selection of candidates advocated by Mr. Weigel and others has failed miserably.
Clinging to an exhausted and failed political approach, and studiously avoiding any examination of the facts, Mr. Weigel is unable to provide any meaningful election analysis.
Finally, back in the December 4 issue of Baltimore's archdiocesan newspaper is this letter, which in particular rings a clear chime with me on the matter; here's a cooler, far more level head... and heart:
Prayer over rhetoric 
I was extremely disappointed to read the angry letters from writers who are upset by the election of Barack Obama. The majority of U.S. Catholics did not vote for Mr. Obama [merely] because he is "pro-abortion". I believe that I voted for a very moral man. 
It is time for American Catholics to take back our Church from one-issue Catholics. Isn't it time to ask ourselves if the strategies used by these reactionary Catholics are effective? Do people really respond in a positive way to strident – and, in some case grotesque – literature and pictures? I attended Mass at the Cathedral during Respect Life weekend. The priest spoke of the problems of abortion, euthanasia, and other life issues, but then went on to discuss the lack of respect we have for one another as evidenced by some of the mean, nasty, and judgmental things we say. 
I realize that many pro-life activists are very giving and charitable, and operate with the best intentions. I do believe however, that it is time for Catholics to evaluate the methodology and tactics used by some Catholics to determine if they are truly consistent with Catholic beliefs. More prayer and less rhetoric might be helpful. 
Again, I hadn't intended, first, a wrap-up at all here. Yet once I'd started, I found that's exactly what I was writing. And, second, I hadn't then intended to draw it out over two postings.
But I'll take up my initial objective in the next posting; as I started out saying at the top here, I ran into a very familiar name – person – from my childhood, and want to (with some genuine discomfort) put this up here as well: see the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment