Friday, June 29, 2007

Under Wraps... vs. Not Wrapped Too Tightly


Below is the text of an email I sent out earlier this evening to forty friends, former coworkers (other than my immediate department of about twenty), and family. Today I finished serving my two weeks’ notice with the international firm where I’ve been working for four years. Other than with management, I did not share the fact I was leaving with any of my coworkers – it’s in my nature to not want a fuss made over me, nor to stand in a spotlight. But I realized that this attitude, while nonegotistical, was still selfish, since it would keep my friends from the opportunity to say goodbye and to wish me well… and for their sakes I couldn’t deny them this. I love ‘em all. The wider circle of people is receiving this note; I wish I could have spent a little more time with each of them:

Hi, everybody, and I hope you've been enjoying an extended Independence Day weekend!

I just wanted to let you know that – effective this afternoon – the best email address for you to use to reach me is this one, my [ISP] address. As of today – June 29 – I've completed my two-week wrap-up with [this corporation] and no longer work there.

Why is this? Well, it's largely two things: First, there's been the 38-mile commute that rarely required less than 60 or 90 minutes for me to get to work, or back home… and in a couple instances (winter weather excepted) it took me – no kidding – three hours. On an average week, this has added up to ten to fifteen unpaid hours on the road (even by express bus riding the HOV lanes).

So even though I would always arrive with my sense of humor (and car!) intact, my concentration and focus were at times already shot by the time I sat down at my desk. Just imagine playing variable-speed bumper-cars first thing in the morning for an hour or longer, then wind up that day the same way, just about every workday for four years. In between these stretches, spend eight or nine hours regularly catching hand grenades, bowling balls, feathers, raw eggs, and the occasional lit stick of dynamite… and don't drop anything!

This added to stress – quite heavy some days, nearly absent others. But lately I've honestly come to find myself drawing closer and closer to an extreme breaking-point, and have been really worried that this great inner tension would lead me into mistakes that would get me fired, or keep me from doing work of a quality that my employers (and paycheck!) deserved.

I couldn't be the hardest worker there, nor even the most sensitive one. But I'd reached my own personal limit, and had begun to stretch even beyond that line also. Something simply had to give, or I had to back out.

(I apologize to my recent coworkers with whom I didn't share my upcoming departure, even though I did give and serve two weeks' notice. I've been looking forward to a low-key, minimal-fuss transition out. Some well-wishers still managed to find me, and I'm warmed that I did get to spend some of these last two weeks with them; I wish I could have pulled all of you in… but then I wouldn't have had enough time to wrap everything up smoothly.)

And, second, I've badly needed that ten- to fifteen-hour stretch for other demands, most especially studies. Granted, this could be done via online classes and a reliable laptop computer while riding the commuter bus – so as an experiment last year, while riding the bus I tried to read novels, books on church history, and so on… but found I was still getting too easily distracted, and couldn't readily stay focused on these texts. And I don't want my academic grades to depend on this.

Still lacking a Bachelor's Degree here in my mid-forties, I’ve been aching to fill in that gap, and (with family encouragement) have finally registered at the local community college. I was hoping to get in a summer class, but it looks like I'll be joining the student-ranks in September instead – part-time, and possibly online still… but not while studying on a moving bus, trying to ignore conversations all around me, and curious eyes over my shoulder.

Target One, though, is to nail down a position back here in [this town] (or darned near to it). I will not ride the [long interstate] corridor again (unless I get really desperate). This will take the lion's share of my daytime attention, beginning with an overhaul and polishing-up of my résumé and stock of cover letters. (Months ago I promised a dear friend I'd help her with hers, but have yet to do even do that… and I feel terrible about letting her down. Hang in there, AZ – you're next, after my own!)

I've had leads passed my way, and I most certainly welcome them – and will also continue plowing through the employment resources I've got at hand as well. I'll keep you updated as much as I can.

Longer-term personal path – which I've been focusing on more and more ardently on, these last several years – has me studying for the priesthood, deaconate, or professed religious life (i.e., monk/brother) and taking vows. Yes, age is a factor. But I recently discovered the Blessed John XXIII National Seminary in Weston, Massachusetts, is taking applications from older men pursuing "late" or "second" vocations, ranging in age from 30 to 60 (and I'm just about in the middle of that range).

Weston is also where my uncle was ordained, and this seminary is across town from where my mother went to college [Alma]… and isn't too terribly far from [a certain town] (my first home, after the Boston hospital), nor from [a certain suburb], where one of my sisters (and brother-in-law) lives. They do take non-degreed applicants as well (about 10% of their incoming student body, if I'm reading that right), although – with the application process taking several months – there's a bit of a window here where I can get my last few remaining credits in the interim.

So I'll be researching this "later-on" step, too – I need to know what kind of course concentration they'll be looking for. Even more than wishing me well, please pray for me.

I'm sorry about how long this letter's gotten! I've been in little or no significant touch with most of you lately, but it's not been through having forgotten any of you… I really have been busy – and will be for a while yet. And you deserve my taking some time at least to catch all of you up! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I feel a great sense of relief and peace right now, along with a genuine excitement over whatever might be next for me. But I can't rest on that, of course. So it's still work-work-work for me… but this smile runs a lot deeper now!

Take care, all of you. More soon.

Regards,

AgingChild

 

No comments:

Post a Comment