Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hoc Est Enim Corpus Meum


I've been busy of late; and while eager to get more copy up here – a final week of puns with Ben, some more of my writings for you to steal, spiritual and familial meditations, and so on – time's been tight. And even when I've had a good amount of time (e.g., this weekend), anything from household chores (painting, lawn mowing and edging, laundry) to attention-drainers (a staggering several pounds of fresh-received stamps to sort through; mindless, distracted websurfing) have really pulled me from my self-set responsibility to keep this site busy, and both of my readers engaged.

Can't tonight, though! Besides an extraordinarily high amount of stress at work recently (enough so that I'm strongly pondering turning in my badge), I've also been in meditation much of the day – while doing those above-mentioned chores, and distractions – on today's Feast Day in the Church, a day set aside to honor the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist (=Communion)… body, blood, soul, and divinity. And I wanted to write up a good several pages on this core credo/doctrine of the Faith (and a spiritual pivot-point for me), but that will have to wait a few days.

I'll bring in the text of John 6:30-68; you're welcome to read it in the meantime. Our Protestant brothers and sisters will generally read the Bible very literally (e.g., at times even to the great extreme of believing thereby that the universe truly was created in six days, and thus is barely more than six thousand years old)… yet this passage they skip over and almost always do not read literally – even while their Catholic cousins do.

What does Jesus say there? Simply – in advance of his Last Supper – that the bread and wine really do become his body and blood. I'll show how he was not speaking symbolically, and how the Church (indeed, essentially all of Christianity through its first fifteen centuries) believed this absolutely, and taught it from the very beginning.

I'll even tell you how (after thirty-some years) it helped me to have a good several decades of reading and watching science fiction for me to suddenly be able to wrap my intellect around this seemingly absurd notion.

(A priest on EWTN once delightfully pointed out that if Jesus (who is God) as creator could make something out of nothing (which is what “create” means)… can't he make something out of something else?)

Again, no time now; so let me leave you with five simple words: What if this is true?

And PS: check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCmLmZDpB4I.

No comments:

Post a Comment