Sunday, May 20, 2007

Back Online... Thanks to the Happy Hookah


The internet connection here at home has been down for nearly a week… and I've been too busy to tie up half an hour with our ISP to trouble-shoot. So meanwhile, all this past week I've been building up a collection of puns, tirades, heart-wrenchers, and so on. 

Late this afternoon I finally called our Service Provider (I won't mention their name… but… Can you hear me now? Goood!). The fellow with whom I finally connected, after jumping through some voice-menu hoops, had a predictably strong Hindi accent, belying the name he gave for himself: Ivan. We repeated the steps I'd tried a couple times earlier this week – power down each unit (router, modem, computer), then twiddle thumbs while counting five-dozen chimpanzees. 

This time it took; likely Ivan gave the line a hard wrist-flick from Hyderabad, inducing a twist that zipped all the way down the line to my end, straightening the kink… much like you'd do with a twisted extension cord. Actually, it's a bit more likely, though, that a hard thunderstorm last week induced e-catatonia in the modem as well. 

Anyway, once I'd confirmed things were up again and that our work was done, I thanked Ivan… in Hindi: "Bahut dhanyawad, mera dost!" He sputtered a moment, then began laughing… but I believe India-side regs prohibit him from speaking anything other than English, so he didn't respond in Hindi. I gave him a final "Namaste!", and hung up. 

Small world. 

Maybe next time I should try Gujarati?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment