Saturday, May 5, 2007

46:31


That's right, folks – I gained nearly two minutes on my last 5K.

This particular run/race/schlep (the latter being more my form) was in that quaint, large small town in west-central Maryland, Frederick – home of an Orioles farm team (more farm than team), the Keys, who are named after erstwhile resident Francis Scott Key. Town's just down the road from Camp David, so some Fridays when I've been in Frederick at just the right (or wrong) time, I've seen Marine One (and a decoy) flying over, northbound. 

Most interestingly, anyway, the evening run was not through the cobblestoned downtown (an awesome little town to stroll through: antiques, restaurants, quaint shops, etc.), but was essentially two laps through a cemetery (where Francis Scott Key is buried, by the way)… with a finish around the Keys outfield.

I'd been trying for weeks to get the rest of the family to join me, starting with older brother Sarge, who ran a 15K right after my last 5K a couple weeks ago. But he'd already registered for an event the next day (tomorrow) and won't ordinarily run on back-to-back days. Younger brother Doc had plans with his daughter; first sister Mew had plans; her athletic son Siege is having knee trouble – though her husband Arn might be able (he didn't). And second sister Alicia is about three months pregnant… and lives in Boston. 

So I turned to family friend and actual Frederick resident, Chuckles. She's legally blind, and writes scripts for various TV shows – from "The Simpsons" to "King of the Hill", "Star Trek", "House", and so on. I hope to begin posting some of her scripts here or on a sister blog I'll set up specifically for her work (which is copyrighted, thank you).

Chuckles' mother and sister are both buried in that cemetery (section QQ), so that may have been her inducement – yes, she joined me for the race/trudge. (My family adopted her – she was once our neighbor – after the sudden passing of her sister, and then her mother, just a few years ago.) She's been ill, having lost (for reasons still unknown, despite some of the best minds at Johns Hopkins throwing their hands up in the air over it) in excess of ninety pounds over the last few years. I think they passed over to me, in fact. 

Her finish time was just over forty-nine minutes… which basically means that I can barely run faster than a seriously ill, blind woman! What's worse, I got passed once by a really cute little Asian-American girl, all five years of her (and her mom). I passed her again, but a little later she passed me once more, and I never saw her again… so I can't even run faster than a five-year-old girl! I'm laughing about it, though. I finished, all right?

Credit, though, goes to brother Sarge (even though he bailed on me!) for getting me started on these things, and another "Sarge" of sorts, neighbor Rosie, whom (along with her well-toned daughter) Chuckles and I almost literally bumped into, milling around and stretching before the start of the race – and an extra brownie point to her for helping me shave off that almost-two minutes. Her daughter is a marathon-runner (and vanished seconds after the starting-gun missed me). Rose is a compact, fifty(?)-something grandmother who serves as drill instructor for a boot-camp style exercise regimen. And like her daughter, she too runs marathons, half-marathons, and so on, with impressive frequency. 

I soon had Chuckles somewhere behind me (and I apologize to her for the view); Rose, though, downshifted and stuck by me the whole way through. She pointed out better methods of breathing, and made other pacing suggestions, all of which I appreciated, since that cemetery had a number of slopes and long hills that my shins and hips made painful note of. Her encouragement and presence by me had me running (well, trotting) for longer spans than I have before, even though the slopes had me walking (though fast) more than I wanted. And at one point Sergeant Rose literally pulled my leg (and ankle) to get some of the shin-splint pain down to a more tolerable level.

This event, by the way, was for many (maybe most?) of the participants, including Rose Jr., an easy warmup for tomorrow's marathon, also in Frederick, Maryland. Pass! But for them it was literally a walk – well, pleasant run – in the park. 

PS: I'll link up some photos once they're online.

PPS: Thanks again, Sergeant Rose!

PPPS: And thanks for putting up with the browbeating, Chuckles – see, even sick and handicapped, you can still almost run faster than a man!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment