Sunday, February 19, 2017

Momentary Detour: Immigration H(e)aven


I'll swing back to thoughts on rationalism and rationality in a few days. This week, retired nurse-friend Senhora N. Fermeira and I have been kicking around the current US debate on immigration.
Just over a week ago, under the subject line of "IMMIGRATION--WHAT WOULD JESUS DO???" she forwarded me a cartoon:
("Vetting" is one of those newer words that bothers me… not too many years ago, it referred to driving a very fast and expensive car around town, or hanging out with veterans…)
The process of – I just don't like that V-word. The criteria for reaching Heaven include 1) baptism; 2) doing God's will; 3) keeping His Commandments; 4) self-denial and acceptance of life's demands, with Jesus as template; 5) receiving the Sacraments in faith, including confession/reconciliation, and Communion / the Eucharist; 6) taking care of the needs of others; 7) striving for peace and for holiness; 8) loving God fully, and your neighbor at least as much as you love yourself; 9) being open to children in your marriage; 10) striving also for divine perfection; 11) receiving God's rule/kingdom with a child's outlook… And those are a good start.
The protestant approach of "sola fide" (by faith alone) and "solo gratia" (by grace alone), through "sola scriptura" (the Bible alone), by praying the "sinner's prayer", and accepting Jesus in your heart as your personal savior… doesn't cut it, not if you know better. See John 9:41 and 15:22 – oh, and Matthew 7:21, too, while you're at it; that last one gets me, and is a reminder to all of us that it's not a sure thing. Let's do our best, okay?
I've also wandered far afield from where I was aiming to go – which is why this little limping lamb appreciates having a shepherd!
I'll pick this up in my next posting; sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment