Sunday, February 5, 2017

Do the Math – No Religion Needed


During the last few weeks of the 2008 US presidential campaign, I posted thoughts on what seemed most important to me, in terms of the positions and objectives of the two major candidates, their parties… and of my own.
As a registered Democrat, just-about-always voting straight-ticket over the years, I favored Obama without reserve. And I recognized the conflict between my commitment against abortion, and the Democratic Party's embracing and enshrining of that asserted "right".
I settled the conflict for myself by looking beyond – arguably, now, overlooking – that issue, and looked rather to what my hope was: that he and his team would see to the needs of the poor, the un(der)employed, the un(der)insured, and all those people – here and beyond our borders – so ignored and plowed over by the outward-bound Cheney-and-Bush-Jr. administration.
That was the sugar-coating to my tacitly giving the Democratic Party permission to make and keep abortion available to all, since at the same time the Obama administration would be fixing up and cleaning up our nation and our world. Right?
I was wrong.
In my postings, I noted honestly that wiser heads than mine had come down very differently on the scale from where I had settled, and specifically regarding abortion. And I'd already noticed the disparity in the number of deaths: at the time, some four thousand dead American servicemen and -women in Iraq over five years – yet three thousand unarmed American children, not even born yet, snuffed out... daily.
(That second number is from the CDC, as published in 2008, and not pulled out of the air and padded by a knee-jerk alarmist site – and not all states and reporting areas are even covered in those statistics. During the 1970-2005 span, thirty-six years, over thirty-eight million children were dismembered and killed by abortion here in the United States, which works out to over a million a year, twenty thousand a week, and just shy of three thousand every day: 2,925 children.
(Bringing the numbers up through 2013 – the most recent that the CDC has released – does reflect a decrease in the number of reported abortions, since the peak in 1990 of over 1.4 million children killed legally in the United States. That brings the average down to about 2,777 children aborted, 1970-2013; or 2,106 daily from 2006 to 2013. That's well over 2,100 too many.)
The meaningless, purposeless, idiotic war that George Jr. brought to Iraq had by the end of his second term in office caused tens of thousands of deaths to that country. And in the years since, especially beginning in 2010, the number's grown to… is it a million now? More, in Iraq and Syria and beyond? The mind reels. And there are millions more refugees. Thanks, George.
And in the United States alone, at least 664,435 babies were killed just in 2013.
Over the years since 2008, as I continued my growth in faith, I continued also shining light into dark corners, including – of necessity – my own inner corners. And I concluded that allowing even one not-yet-born baby to be torn limb from limb, to have its spinal cord snipped, its skull crushed… even just one… (let alone selling its pieces!) was not a fair trade-off for a better economy and lip-service to empowerment of women (and of cowardly men… myself included at the front of that line).
And in essence, it's not even a religious issue.
For me, it did take a deepening of faith to bring me to that point, where I couldn't vote for that any longer. But sharing that square with me are people of little faith, and of no faith. Have you heard of Nat Hentoff? Atheists Against Abortion? Pro-Life Humanists? Secular Pro-Life?
No crucifix, cross, crescent, magen david, saffron robe, or golden calf needed.
What's needed is heart, reason, and courage at last to say No. Not Any More. Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment